To provide excellent professional training and development for yoga teachers and aspiring yoga teachers who teach prenatal and postnatal yoga students
- EDUCATION: Provide the most up-to-date and evidence-based information about how to best support pregnant and postpartum people.
- EMPOWERMENT: Encourage self-advocacy through informed decision-making and integration of knowledge into your life
- EMPATHY: Support an individual’s needs instead of upholding ideology
Philosophy and Approach:
Pregnancy, birth, and postpartum recovery are rich and intense experiences. The yoga practices taught in the Poppy Perinatal Yoga School are designed to help people:
1) balance and align the body and emotions
2) skillfully soften and relax within intensity
3) increase stamina and endurance for the realities of labor, childbirth, and postpartum recovery
The pranayama and asana practices meet you where you’re at and accommodate your needs during pregnancy and post-birth, whether you need a slow/gentle practice or moderate to more athletic practice. This approach to pregnancy and postpartum yoga is Forrest-inspired and incorporates specialized core exercises designed for supporting prenatal and postnatal people.
Who Can Attend:
The training is open to yoga teachers/professionals, aspiring teachers, birthworkers, or anyone who is pregnant or post-birth.
The Poppy Perinatal Yoga Teacher Training is offered in two levels: Level 1 and Level 2.
- To satisfy Level 1 requirements, you must complete a 3-day or 4-day or 5-day training. Any of the Level 1 trainings can be taken as a standalone training.
- To satisfy Level 2 requirements, you must attend the 6-day or 7-day training that is offered within the 9-day/10-day training.
- If you would like to do Level 1 and Level 2 together within one training, then attend the entire 9-day training or 10-day training retreat.
- To teach the integration of the Poppy Perinatal approach in your yoga classes, you should complete at minimum Level 1 training. To become Certified to teach the Poppy approach or register as RPYT with Yoga Alliance, you must complete Level 2 and additional coursework.
Each training provides yoga teachers its own comprehensive manual, daily meditation and breathwork exercises, prenatal and postnatal yoga classes, hands-on assists workshops, and the information and tools for skillfully supporting women through pregnancy and postpartum.
The 9-day training also includes teaching practicum, feedback on teaching, sequencing exercises, and special workshops: 1) Functional Pelvic Anatomy/Physiology, 2) Energetics of Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum, 3) Reproductive Justice, and 4) Herbs for Birthing and Postpartum People. The 9-day is followed by 10 non-contact hours of written coursework. If taught in a retreat setting, the 9-day training becomes a 10-day retreat training.
The 9-Day Training or 10-Day Retreat Training is accredited by Yoga Alliance as an 85-hour Registered Prenatal Yoga School (RPYS). If you successfully complete the certification requirements of the 85-hour, you are qualified to register with Yoga Alliance as a Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher (RPYT). You must be currently registered with Yoga Alliance as RYT or E-RYT before registering as RPYT. The 3-Day, 5-Day, and 9-Day/10-Day Trainings are all accredited as continuing education trainings by Yoga Alliance. Upon successful completion, you can submit your continuing education training hours to Yoga Alliance.
What You’ll Learn in all Poppy Perinatal Yoga Trainings:
- Daily Prenatal/Postnatal and Meditation Sessions.
- Tailor poses for various needs and conditions during pregnancy.
- Design class sequences for different types of prenatal and postnatal classes – relaxing to moderate to athletic.
- Specific postpartum yoga practices that promote healing and support after childbirth, including vaginal birth, surgical birth, VBAC, and pregnancy loss.
- Use yoga practices to relieve pain, discomfort, anxiety, depression that could accompany pregnancy and postpartum.
- Understand how yoga and movement practices support the anatomical and physiological transformation that pregnancy and postpartum bodies experience.
- Help people connect emotionally, physically, and spiritually with themselves and use those connections to help prepare them for pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum.
- Hands-On Assists Clinics – learn and practice enhancement, or supportive, or pain-relieving techniques. No one technique works for everyone; adapt techniques that work best for the individual.
What You’ll Get in the 9-Day Poppy Perinatal Yoga Training (10-Day if retreat setting):
- All the above
- Childbirth Class
- Teaching Practicum (group or private class settings) and Feedback for Prenatal and Postnatal Class Designs
- Sequencing Practicum for class sequence designs that can help bring relief to prenatal and postnatal people with certain conditions (e.g., pubic bone pain, diastastis recti, prolapse, back pain, swelling, nausea, blood pressure issues, fatigue, etc.).
- Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga Training (daily sessions)
- Pelvic Anatomy and Physiology Training (2-day workshop)
- Energetics for Conception, Pregnancy, Labor & Delivery, and Postpartum Training (1-day workshop)
- Reproductive Justice (1-day workshop)
- Herbs for Birthing and Postpartum People (1-day workshop)
Content of the Poppy Perinatal Yoga Training Manual:
- 240+ pages for Level 2 Training (85-Hours) – includes 150+ asanas in full color with detailed instructions
- 130 pages for Level 1 Training (usually 2/3/5 day training) – includes 110 asanas in full color with detailed instructions
- Articles about prenatal and postnatal practices through yoga, breath, meditation
- Up-to-date information on the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum.
- Poses and techniques for relieving pain and cultivating strength and openness
- Example 60-minute sequences for private and group prenatal or postnatal classes
- Example 60-minute sequences for integrating prenatal and postnatal modifications into regular group classes
- Example 60-minute sequences from relaxing to moderate to athletic prenatal or postnatal classes
- Each participant will receive the manual as a full color e-book.
LOCATION, SCHEDULE, POLICIES
Click on the event above for tuition and registration.
Schedule and Attendance Policy
100% attendance required (no tardiness) to ALL components of the training.
Required Materials You Must Bring
2 yoga mats OR [1 yoga mat + 1 large blanket]
2 yoga blocks
one 8-ft yoga strap
1 bolster (oblong and about 2 feet long)